Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Lord Howe Island

    February 4, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    We are really here. Almost 19 years ago we promised each other we would come here one day so it's taken a while.
    The flight in a little Dash 8 was uneventful nothing to see out of the window until the island came into view and I couldn't even see that with the engine and propeller in the way.
    The sight from the airfield was breath taking, the huge mass of Mt Lidgbird and Mt Gower even bigger than tourist photos suggested. Everywhere so green, massed palm trees and the background chorus of cicadas.
    The welcoming committee of the accomodation owners was a lovely surprise as they took our baggage and drove us into 'town'. Very few cars here and a speed limit of 25km most people walk or cycle. Everyone waves to everyone else as they pass by.
    The shops, cafes, post office, houses etc are pretty much hidden away in the trees, no shopping street here. The trees are so lush it's hard to see through them.
    The lagoon is picture perfect, you would think the colours had been photoshopped. And everytime you look South the two mountains dominate.
    This is bliss.
    Photos
    The view from the airfield
    The road to the lagoon (hidden shops amongst the greenery)
    The lagoon with Mt Lidgbird and Mt Gower
    The view from our balcony
    Sunset from the balcony
    The balcony at the treehouse
    Read more