Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Middle Beach and Lagoon Road

    February 6, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Leisurely start to the day with a short walk to Middle Beach which is on the Pacific Ocean side of the island.
    The track winds through forest and is littered with holes just right for spraining ankles. These have to be avoided at all cost as they are actually the burrows of the Muttonbirds. Up to one metre down the babies will be waiting the return of their parents at dusk.
    Lovely sound of waves crashing on the beach so I found an overhanging rock to sit under and just looked and listened and loved the peaceful feeling it gave me. Meanwhile the old geologist investigated the rocks down to the other side of the beach. Only one other person in sight and he was leisurely swimming. Temperature around 28 degrees C and 70 percent humidity
    Back to the studio for a siesta and later in the afternoon cycled south along Lagoon road. You can't get away from the enormity of Mt Gower and Mt Lidgbird so why not go closer!
    Lots of tiny little bays along the way and no one there except us. The islanders provide bike racks at every beach, lookout or interesting place. No crime here so it's quite safe to leave bikes, bags and wander off for a swim or walks.
    Saw a few woodhen in the long grass. In 1980 there were less than 7 pairs of these plain little birds left in the world now thanks to a breeding program there are around 300 birds all on LHI.
    Admired the stunning views from the golf course which is right on the edge of the Lagoon. Presumably there are a lot of golf balls in there! Walked along Lovers Beach as far as we could go in the time left before sunset (not allowed to cycle without lights once the sun is down and the hire bikes have no lights. No street lighting here so at night it literallly is pitch black on the tracks and the island' s one and only police officer is very strict). Tried to find a shortcut back to the road and ended up on private property surrounded by electric fences - back along the beach we went.
    Arrived at the studio with five minutes to spare; once again exhausted, hot and sweaty and very pleased with ourselves.
    Just another day on LHI.

    Photos
    Middle Beach
    View from the garden of the Treehouse
    Woodhen
    View from the golf course
    Looking down to Lovers Beach
    The empty road to the south.
    Read more