Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 6 to Estella, we hit a wall.

    October 5, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    We walked into Puente La Reina perhaps a tad cocky. Several days under our belt and we were pontificating on how we would walk every step of the Camino. We had a fancy dinner on the advice of some new friends, unfortunately just did not satisfy. The next morning we got a late start, we barely walked a kilometer and decided to stop for a full breakfast.

    The tables have turned, I’m starving, I literally can’t get enough to eat. On the other hand, Julie is not interested in eating. (Only Pringles) No almonds for me, I’m eating ham and cheese croissants and a delicious egg, onion and potato connection any time I can find them.

    After an hour long breakfast we finally headed out of town to begin our journey to Estella. We walked for a few kilometers, came upon an ancient Spanish village and we were immediately called out by some fellow pilgrims to join them for some coffee. An hour later, we realized we had made zero progress. It was almost noon and we had many kilometers to go.

    The rest of the afternoon was HOT, full of old Roman cobblestone roads, zero shade and we were struggling. We walked up a steep, steep dusty hill, found the first park bench, took off our packs and shoes, looked at each other and said… we’re done. After much debate, we decided not to walk the last 7 kilometers and we called a taxi.

    We cruised into Estella after a 15 km day to our amazing old town apartment. We passed other pilgrims and ducked down so they wouldn’t see us pulling into town in cab. We had a great dinner with a new friend and we ended the day early with no Penguin update.
    Read more