Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Day 14 - First rainy hike, Astorga

    October 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    We were excited to bring out our rain gear. First time in over two weeks in Spain. We covered up our bags, bodies and kept trucking on.

    We completed 24km/15 miles and got into Astorga with enough time to visit the Gaudi Palace, Astorga cathedral and the Camino museum. Julie was serenaded by a local artist after steep climb into the city.

    In Astorga we have an apartment in town right by the square. It’s a cute place and we were pleased to see they had laundry machine and a rack to dry our clothes.

    We just finished dinner 8:45 pm and we would rather be asleep, but once again nothing is open until 8pm. We continue to be underwhelmed by the every day fare in Spain. It’s not what we were expecting. Things would be so much better if Joan would have studied a little harder in school for her three years of Spanish.

    We have past countless chocolate shops and this town seems to be famous for their chocolate. So one quick stop for chocolate, and then we are off to bed.

    We have another 20+ km/per day for the next few days as we climb back into the mountains. Weather will be cloudy, rainy and cool. Joan sure is wishing she did not leave her “puffy coat” in Pamplona.

    Buen Camino!
    Read more