Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Cusco

    May 27, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    The past 3 days we have been exploring Cusco! Cusco is a beautiful and lively city (there has been some festival/parade happening each day) with lots of history.

    We visited the San Pedro market which is a massive market in the historic centre of the city. When we walked in there were dozens of ladies at stalls who all wave menus at you trying to sell fresh fruit juice. They all sell the same thing only their stall will say 'jugos Edith' or 'jugos Rosa'. It makes selecting which juice stand you go to feel very personal (but the juice is delicious). The market has many other things as well like fruits, veggies, meats, hand crafts, etc!

    We took a walking tour that showed us many of the highlights of the city as well as the history of Cusco. It was very interesting to see some of the streets that still contain original stonework from the Incan empire. Their stones were chipped and sanded using local materials from hundreds of years ago and yet have survived multiple earth quakes as well as attempted destruction by the Spanish. It was honestly incredible to see the precision and hear the unique techniques they would use.

    We also tried lots of delicious local restaurants. We found a gf pizza place which was amazing and we went to the Limbus Restobar which had incredible views over the city (it was a steep walk up to it but worth it for the view).

    Overall, Cusco has been a beautiful city and a place where we were able to do some resting. Angus has been a bit under the weather with a cold so we have just been taking it easy so he can feel better in time for the Inca Trail (he is already feeling much improved)! The city is very unique and I really liked it here... although it has gotten lines from the Emperor's New Groove stuck in my head for the past few days now! Every time we see a lady with a llama or alpaca in the street (which is all the time... they are everywhere), all I can think of is 'a llama??? He's supposed to be dead!' 😂
    Read more