Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Pisac

    May 29, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Today we took a day trip from Cusco to a town in the Sacred Valley called Pisac. It was an hour long bus ride away from our hotel in Cusco. Pisac is famous for two things: the Pisac market and the Pisac ruins. Once we got off the bus we first went to the market for a quick walk around. There were many beautiful handmade crafts to look at. We then continued to the Pisac ruins (we had to take a taxi to get to the top but we were able to hike down afterwards).

    The ruins were incredible to see. They are very well preserved ruins from the Incan empire. There were so many different ruins to see on the trail as well as massive terraces that were used to grow food. It was such an interesting location and the view was absolutely stunning. We were able to get up close to the ruins and actually go in, what is now the former homes and neighborhoods of the Incans. The stone work was so precise which has allowed the ruins to stay so intact for hundreds of years. We made our way up and down exploring the many ruins built into the mountainside for over 2.5 hours before completing a 1 hour hike down the mountain. It was so crazy to see the ruins and think about how people must have lived back then. I really loved that we were basically given free reign to explore as many of the ruins as we wanted and whatever pace we wanted! What an incredible place!

    We then bused back to Cusco for some dinner and down time. Overall, it was an amazing day.
    Read more