Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Iguazu Falls: from Argentina

    June 21, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Today we visited the Iguazu falls from the Argentinian side. This was one of the places I was the most excited about and it did not disappoint. Iguazu is the most beautiful set of waterfalls I have ever seen and honestly one of the most stunning natural phenomena. This place should be on everyone's bucket list.

    On the Argentinian side of the falls there are 3 main hiking circuits to do. The first one we did was called the Devil's Throat and it brought you to the largest and most intense part of the falls. You had the option to take the train there and back but we decided to do the hour-long walk on the way there. Boy are we glad we did! On this walk we saw a beautiful toucan, coatis, and monkeys! The monkeys were so fun to see as they climbed so close to us that we could make eye contact with them! They were jumping between trees and climbing around! It felt like we were in an episode of planet earth. This trail was rarely walked so it was nice to have the whole place to ourselves (most other trails were a lot busier)!

    Arriving at the Devil's Throat was amazing. The amount of water pouring over the sides was crazy and you got to be right up close to it! We were so close that we were getting soaked by the mist the whole time! The special part of Iguazu is that it's not just one waterfall but dozens of falls. This meant that everywhere you looked you could see a stunning waterfall! After enjoying this viewpoint we continued back via the train (we were afraid we wouldn't have time to do the other two trails before they closed).

    The second trail we did was the lower circuit which gave panoramic views of the different sections of the falls! This was a very lovely trail with some of the best views of the many falls! We also got to stop at a few other falls that are not part of the bigger section on this trail. After this trail it started pouring rain for about 10 minutes which is officially the first time this trip we have used our rain coats! However, after 10 mins it stopped and the coats were put away for the rest of the day!

    Our final trail was the upper circuit! This trail allows you to access many different view points on top of the different waterfalls. It is a longer trail with many different panoramic views! There were in theory 2 other trails to do, one of them on the island near the falls which allows you to get very close to them; however, these trails were closed for maintenance while we were there. This gives us a reason to come back!

    Overall, I loved this day and being able to experience such a natural wonder was amazing. I loved how natural the falls still were... At Niagara I find it all so commercialized and while this is still touristy, there are so many hikes through a rainforest and wildlife and stuff to see. Can't wait to see the Brazilian side next!
    Read more