Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    MONA

    April 19 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    This morning we headed into Hobart to catch the ferry to MONA - the Museum of Old and New Art.
    But before that we tried to see the old Hobart Gaol (Convict Penitentiary). We parked next to TCA Ground in Glebe, high on top of a hill and started to walk down to Hobart town. As we walked it seemed familiar. A quick search and we were one street away from one of the houses of Matthew Higgins (c. 1914) in Service St. So we walked there first.
    Then onto the Gaol, but it was only booked tours and we didn’t have time today. The Gaol is on the corner of Brisbane Rd which also has one of Matthew’s homes (c.1931). We walked the length of the street to find it!
    Afterwards we found a fantastic cafe on Argyle St before joining the others for the ferry to MONA.
    MONA was interesting. A bit unsettling. Very much confusing. And in some circumstances, makes one question what is art and what is social commentary or a science experiment. Claire loved it. It grew on Michael.
    Afterwards we went to The Drunk Admiral for a seafood platter.
    Returning home I noticed that the Aurora indicators were going off. Despite the overcast weather we headed out and caught just a glimpse of colour.
    Read more