Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Western Wilds

    April 22 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Today was a driving day, leaving Hobart and heading to Strahan.
    After a brief stop in Nee Norfolk to check lottery tickets (we didn’t win except for $3 on scratchies) e stopped at a picturesque spot along the banks of the Derwent River for a drone shot.
    We headed west along the Lyell Highway, with a detour along a dirt road (a shortcut) that took us through some amazing forestry regions - some native, some plantation.
    We arrived at Lake St Clair and had a very brief walk in the bush to the edge of the lake (you can walk all the way to Cradle Mountain). Taking a heap of photos of some of the finer details of the plants in the region, and one Black Currawong that was obviously up early!
    Just down the road is The Wall in the Wilderness. One man’s interpretation of Tasmania beautifully hand-carved in a beautiful shed. Unfortunately he also requests no photos, which is a shame… but google it!
    We set off again for Strahan, stopping to get a few photographs of a mountain (with glorious yellow vegetation in the foreground and clouds passing the peak) and spectacle waterfalls in rainforests. We walked along a swing bridge over the Franklin River.
    Driving through what is supposedly 99 bends, but felt like 999 bends we arrived at Queenstown, a copper mining town. The hills are denuded and sharp jagged rocks. A while ago I read about the first convict colony in Tasmania and the story of some of the convicts who tried to escape, having their clothes shredded by the bush and bodies cut up by the sharp rocks. Another indication as to how desperate some of the convicts became to escape their wretched time in Macquarie Harbour.
    In the evening we went to see The Ship That Never Was. A play based upon true events that has been showing for 30 years. A great show, with full audience participation.
    Read more