Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 10

    Southern Edge

    21 kwietnia, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Today we headed south to Bruny Island - a short ferry ride across the D'Entrecasteaux Channel to the 362m2 landmass.
    There are two islands, joined by a narrow, sandy isthmus which has a lookout and memorial to Truganini, one of the last native speakers of the Tasmanian languages and one of the last individuals solely of Aboriginal Tasmanian descent.
    The isthmus is also home to a colony of Little Penguins. Michal was hopeful of seeing one and we managed to spot one which was hiding in its burrow.
    We made our way to Adventure Bay for a jet boat tour down the south coast, along the Bay of Islands, past Tasman Head and into the Great Southern Ocean to The Friars island group to watch seals with Pennicott Wilderness Adventures.
    We darted into and out of sea caves, shot between rocks (twice) and watched a “breathing” rock which sucked water in before spraying it out (and over us!)
    Once we started heading back we were facing the sun and going with the swell… perfect conditions for a quick snooze!
    Back on land we had a late lunch at the cafe.
    Michael had wanted to see one of the albino wallabies on the island (no doubt a result of inbreeding and no predators). We quickly searched the back roads (on advice of some locals) and found one in the distance but then another with an albino peacock!
    It was time to head home. We pulled into the chocolate shop and got way too much chocolate, then a beer, bread and cheese place just before they closed and finally “Get Shucked” for a very nice half dozen fresh oysters and a glass of Janz for Helen.
    With only one way on and off the island there was a queue of cars to board the ferry - it took us about an hour to get over (3 full
    ferries).
    Cheese for dinner tonight before packing to start our journey west tomorrow.
    Czytaj więcej