Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Transfer from Accra to Kumasi

    February 6, 2023 in Ghana ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We did not get the full Ghana experience yesterday, but boy did we today!
    It all started with us realizing (thanks to M. for noting that) that we booked a flight from Accra to Kumasi not on Feb 6th, but March 6th!
    We have told the hotel staff to get us a taxi at 7 so that we can get the flight rebooked and check in in time. While we have waited for the taxi for 20 mins, the staff brought us a powder coffee from Nestle (in Ghana, the country of coffee!) and listened to the military exercising just behind the walls.
    When the „taxi“ came, we quickly realized that the mini Toyota that barely fits one luggage in its back, should take us all. The staff had ordered another car, but that one never came…
    So, to make it to the airport in time, we decided to load all of the luggage on us in the and front seat as you can see in one of the pictures. The car was… well, overloaded would be an understatement. :)
    When we finally made our way to the airport, we hit every bump there was.
    Wait, did I mention the driver was a rasta and did blast Bob Marley songs like there was no tomorrow? 😎
    On our way, a policemen stopped us, probably wanting to make some quick cash, and went on to argue with the poor driver about how this would not happen in America or wherever we come from. Eventually resolved, the conflict made us feeling sorry for the driver as we came up with the idea to go all at once to catch the flight.
    When in Accra national airport, we headed straight for the ticketing office. Usually, airports are busy - not this one. We have explained our issue to the lady behind the desk, and she explained there are only 3 seats left on the next flight, and a few more on the flight at 14:00. As we are quite a flexible group, everyone started offering to take the later flight so that the other 3 can already go ahead. After approx. 30 mins of waiting and asking, the lady finally agreed that we can have two seats and two would wait on standby, if some passengers wouldn‘t show up. What an emotional journey that has been! Then we went to weigh our luggage, went through security and just 10 mins before the flight departure, we made it to the gate and got a bus just for us and some other passengers to take us to an airplane and still depart on time.
    The flight only took 30 mins and the Kumasi Airport is so tiny that you have only one belt to offload your luggage.
    Today morning has been the perfect entry to Ghana. We love it! 🤩

    (K.)
    Read more