Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    First footprints in Kumasi

    February 6, 2023 in Ghana ⋅ 🌩️ 24 °C

    We have arrived to Kumasi!
    Amazing Flo (friend from Marilyn from her time in Ghana) picked us up at the airport and we have arrived at the beautiful new home of Sunshine Volunteering Organization.
    We have spent the day exploring Kumasi and started our journey at the local orphanage. Lots of the kids are either left behind as the parents can’t or do not want to keep them for different reasons (poverty, disabeled child…) or the kids truly become orphans. The youngest baby was two weeks old and oh my we all did our best to hug as many as we could and not cry.
    Afterwards we continued our journey to the Kumasi market, one of the biggest markets in the country to explore, buy some textiles to make some clothes from later and also buy some school supplies for the schools that Sunshine volunteering org. works with.
    As busy as the place was, it is a place where so many people meet to sell everything you can imagine and we quickly learned the most important lesson: DO NOT STOP. 😁
    Even tho we are in a city, we spent half of the day in cars commuting or being stuck in traffic. Our driver is a passionate dj so the rides were always very loud and funky. (To Yasmins pleasure)
    We finished the day at the semastres to put down our orders for some clothes we wozld like to have made, just when a tropical storm hit. Usually, the rain season here stars in around March, but with the climate change, nothing is certain. Therefore we got to experience our first blackout - the wind was so strong the power was cut to prevent fires. We got to have dinner with Flashlights and have quite the memorable first day!

    (K.)
    Read more