Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Village school visit

    February 8, 2023 in Ghana ⋅ 🌩️ 34 °C

    We started our Wednesday really early and got up at 6am to travel to a school in the outskirts. The jorney consisted of a taxi to the “Barrier”, from there by public transport to the big Kumasi market, from there again by public transport (2 hours) to a town in the outskirts, then by taxi to a village and then with a “YellowYellow” (version of a Tuk Tuk) to the senior high school.

    There we were greeted in the usual Ghanian welcoming manner by the principal of the senior high school. We distributed books and pencils to the students and shared a few words on the importance of education, as advocated by Flo and her inspiring organisation Guide Educational Foundation (find out more here: https://www.guide-educational-foundation.com).

    The students were obviously curious and had many questions. Nevertheless, they were also really shy which prevented them from interacting with us. Afterwards, we had some interesting conversations with the teachers and their requirements to teach the students effectively.

    After visiting the senior high school, we walked to the neighbouring primary school to distirbute some more school supplies. The teachers were overwhelmed and really excited. The children were shy at first, but after the first high five, everyone wanted to participate and touch the “obroni”.

    After playing a bit with the school children, we started our way back to Kumasi. Exhausted from the long journey, the many interactions and impressions, a nap on the bus was inevitable.

    (M. & Kev.)
    Read more