Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Halifax Nova Scotia - Peggy’s Cove

    October 28, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    Today we had an afternoon excursion to Peggy’s Cove. In the morning we did some of the activities, made journals and met a nice lady named Cookie, ate a good breakfast and danced ChaCha Slide (under duress of Daniel the assistant cruise director).

    Around two we left for our excursion. It was about an hour away by bus from Halifax. Peggy’s Cove was a very picturesque fishing village. E we learned about lobster anatomy from our guide Ellen. Mom and I went to a small art gallery and bought a print from the artist there Mr. Depew. When he found out we were from South Carolina he said “My father retired to a little town in SC. But you probably haven’t heard of Pawleys Island.” Obviously we have since mom lives there and dad has played golf at Pawleys Plantation the day before. So that was interesting hahaha.

    After that we went to the Titanic section of Halifax graveyard. Because the town had a number of ice breaking ships for their Harbor the town was called to help recover bodies after the Titanic sank. They recovered 328 total and numbered the victims as they pulled them from the sea. They put belonging from each in numbered bags with written descriptions in hopes the bodies could be identified. White Star line, the owners of Titanic refused to pay to send the bodies home and so most were buried in Halifax with small headstones.

    After we got back to the ship we used one of mom’s platinum perks to eat at La Cucina Italian restaurant. We split a margarita pizza. The show that night was a Broadway play called Six. It was a mix of pop idols and history of the six wives of Henry VIII. It was very fun and tongue in cheek but May have been a bit too contemporary for the majority of the passengers. I liked it though. Tomorrow will be a sea day and our least full day in the ship.
    Read more