Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Running Down A Dream

    August 10, 2018 in England ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    What could be better than a day at the seaside. It was touch and go in the morning as the weather was inclement. But we decided that it was not going to stop us so we headed off to Barrow one of the nearest beaches to Bristol. It was quite an eye opener as when we arrived at the beach the tide was out. When I say out , you could not see any sea at all. It was on the horizon. Barrow is interesting as it has an old wooden wreck on the beach which can only be viewed when the tide is out so I was happy to be able to take photos of the wreck. As we could not find a decent place to have a coffee we set off for Weston Super Mare.

    I laughed when we arrived as the tide was out here too but you could see that it was on the turn and starting to roll back to shore. We were lucky as Weston had their annual sand sculptures on show which we all wanted to see so we spent a happy hour strolling around admiring the workmanship. The theme this year was Barnum and Bailey. So all the structures were circus themed. The nice thing about lunch today was we had a traditional fish and chip lunch with mushy peas. You cannot spend a day at the beach without having fish and chips and an ice cream in a cone. It was great.

    I have really enjoyed our day out. In the evening we had a smorgesboard of cheeses,onions,pickles and fruit. Then a night of relaxation. Another perfect day. Goodnight diary.

    Weston-super-Mare is a seaside town in Somerset, England, on the Bristol Channel 18 miles (29 km) south west of Bristol between Worlebury Hill and Bleadon Hill. It includes the suburbs of Oldmixon, West Wick and Worle. Its population at the 2011 census was 76,143.

    Although there is evidence in the local area of occupation since the Iron Age, it was still a small village until the 19th century when it became a seaside resort, and was connected with local towns and cities by a railway, and two piers were built. The growth continued until the second half of the 20th century, when tourism declined and some local industries closed. A regeneration programme is being undertaken with attractions including the Helicopter Museum, Weston-super-Mare Museum, Grand Pier and an aquarium. The Paddle Steamer Waverley and MV Balmoral offer day sea trips from Knightstone Island to various destinations along the Bristol Channel and Severn Estuary. Cultural venues include The Playhouse, the Winter Gardens and Blakehay Theatre.

    Partly owing to the large tidal range in the Bristol Channel, the low tide mark in Weston Bay is about 1 mile (1.6 km) from the seafront. Although the beach itself is sandy, low tide uncovers areas of thick mud, hence the colloquial name, Weston-super-Mud.[5][6][7] These mudflats are very dangerous to walk in and are crossed by the mouth of the River Axe. Just to the north of the town is Sand Point which marks the lower limit of the Severn Estuary and the start of the Bristol Channel. It is also the site of the Middle Hope biological and geological Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). In the centre of the town is Ellenborough Park, another SSSI due to the range of plant species found there.
    Read more