Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 120

    Mad Monkey Koh Rong Sanloem

    June 20, 2022 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Slowly the boat starts entering a cristal blue water bay, there's a long corridor leading towards a wooden house in the middle of the sea, swings on the water, organized hammocks next to each other and wood simple bungalows. This place looks like paradise. They drop you in the middle of the beach, you walk from the water to get to the sand, completely wet trying to save your backpack from the water. There's no better way of entering such a divine place. Still, the place is built for the average british group of kids, so you kinda feel how it destroys a bit the essence of the place. Every single detail is made to try and get you to buy as many drinks as possible. Had some very nice days on this private bay anyways, at the beginning uncomfortable and forcing myself into fitting in the place. But then, I finally saw a solo traveller walking in (such a rare specie nowadays). Had some nice time with him, a guy from Israel, and after that started to meet more and more people, since a large tour group came (with some diversity to the place). Did a fishing tour (it was the only way of getting myself into snorkeling) were I saw the amazing inside of the sea, gave a very unsuccessful try to fishing and had some lunch on a private beach. Nothing could be better. But after this days feeling a bit in a school excursion, left to the main island to see what else this barely occupied island has to share.

    🏠 Accomodation: Mad Monkey: isolated from the rest of the world you can only get here with a boat from the island. The hostel is in a private bay, with hammocks and swings on the water, an amazing chilling area after a long corridor, and everywhere you look at is just stunning. They pick you up for free from the ferry in Koh Rong Samloem on a very cute boat. The only con is, as everywhere else, this places are thought for british kids travelling SA, so there's bad music all day long and its only purpose is to party and drink. Also food and drink are quite expensive since there's no other option on the place, and not so good either.
    📍Essentials: Fishing trip (they take you on a boat around the island, you do some snorkeling which is sooo nice, and fish your lunch, that you will eat on a private beach totally worth it and for a pretty good price), fire show at night
    Read more