Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 194

    Don Det (4000 islands)

    September 2, 2022 in Laos ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Completely alone in this beautiful ghost island. You could see how this place used to be the tourist meca, but now you can only see the dust from what it used to be. Met two german guys and a crazy french right before getting ready for my bus to the islands, and ended up discovering the island with them. We didn't do much, really. Just enjoy the island vibe, relax, drink, swim in the pool of a cute hostel, eat and repeat. We investigated a bit around the area, and I hugged a cow (big dream of mine) and saw an amazing sunset. We took some bikes once to investigate the island and its neighbour and until we crossed a bridge that was holding itself by some thinthin pieces and reached a waterfall where some fisherman were risking their lives showing off their acrobat abilities and putting big cages inside a waterfall no matter how strong was the stream nor the tough weather conditions, aftert that, sitting under a cover in the fire and enjoying a nice cigarrete where their friend was waiting for them.

    🍴Food: Smiling Lao (amazing pumpking kebab and omelets), Emily Noodle, Mama Tanon
    🏠 Accomodation: Smiling Lao (really cheap, very chill place with hammok and nice owners), Mama Tanon (same idea for same price, less privacy and space but wifii and closer to everything)
    📍Essentials: ride a bike around the islands, go see the fisherman risk their lives fishing on the waterfall, sunset
    💡Some facts: you used to be able to see the dolphins from the Mekong, but the last one died in february, so you can only see the very last few from Katie (in Cambodia)
    Read more