Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 573

    Uluru

    September 16, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    When I was 13 I wrote down on my budget list: watch sunrise from uluru. And clearly, I had no idea what that meant and I had to google it. Somehow it felt so magical to keep showing my kid self of how capable I was of turning all her dreams true and how brave and alive I was. Just on the drive you pass McConnor (Rominancalls it fuluru because it fools you making you believe you are seeing Uluru already), all surrounded by deep red sand. It was already magical. Watched sunset from a cute viewpoint from where we could see Kata Tjuta and stayed in a reallyreally expensive campsite (but guess whatz it was the only one in town). Walked arpund Uluru and joined a super interesting walk about the culture, tradition and history of the site. Later on did so many talks about the bushfood of the area, the tools, the plants, the cooking, even a didgeridoo workshop and an strology movie, and visited a few galleies. Yulara, the town where Uluru is located was so so touristy, but at the same time we made the most of it. Also did the typical sunrise from Uluru (pretty confusing though cause you really dont see it from there so I was so disappointed), and had to run away from crazy William, random japanese guy that kept finding us with sososo much energy.

    🔎Some facts: girls can't play didgeridoos because its against their culture (the story I got its that some dude from a tribe got all the ladies pregnant and then they cut his penis and turned it into the instrument, so if a girl plays it she'll get pregnant from him as well). Such a pity. Also didgeridoos are only from a certain small part of the northern territory, not all Australia. And they are used to invoque the spirits.
    📍Essentials: Mala guided walk, free workshops from the resort (bush talk, gardens talk, didjeridoos and yarn bush food), Kata Tjuta sunset
    🏠 Accommodation: Ayers Rock Caravan Park (only camping place in yulara, incredibly expensive but nice installations and central)
    Read more