Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Day 43 Singapore

    October 12, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    We both felt a bit tired this morning after the big day yesterday. We considered a couple of options like Sentosa island and the wildlife park but ended up going to Chinatown. We spent a bit of time in a Buddhist temple which had 4 floors and a ceremony going at the time. Then we went over a courtyard to the mall where there were lots of clothing options and I might have bought a couple of tops. We had a banana for breakfast so were a bit hungry by that time, but not quite ready for the range of unusual delicacies in the food court. I don’t think I will ever be ready for frog porridge! So a coconut bun for me and a cheese bun for Trish. The heat was out in force by then so we thought just one more temple and then the bus back, What actually happened?

    A walk through a number of interesting stalls, a visit to another temple, a stop at a chocolate shop for a gelato and aircon. Then a walk through more interesting shops (including a Tintin shop) to get a train for a bit. When we left the train to walk to our bus stop we were in front of a big mall and feeling quite hungry by that time and we found a very cool Vietnamese restaurant called Paper Ice. We were seated and then waited for a while to be served. But it was so interesting watching the robots deliver the food to the various tables. Then it occurred to us that maybe we were supposed to order remotely as well and finally noticed the QR code on the table mat. We had an amazing meal, quite simple but very tasty.

    Then back out to wait for the bus. At one stage all the traffic stopped, must have been stopped by police as they then arrived escorting some important person. Finally our bus arrived but by the time we got back to our hotel it was around 4pm so not such a short day after all.

    This is our last night of our holiday and we celebrated that in our usual fine fashion, eating dinner in our hotel and watching some tv. We had gone out earlier to get some supplies, but just couldn’t be bothered eating out. It is very hot and humid here.

    Our hotel room has grown on us, partly cos of the amazing aircon and the location has been pretty good as well. I can’t believe that I will be sleeping in my own bed in 2 nights, though need to kick Glynis out of it lol.

    One thing we have noticed here is how friendly and polite people are in general. They often give way in buses or escalators, say excuse me and sorry if they get in the way. Maybe it’s just because we got used to it not happening in Europe where there were all manner of queue jumpers and pushy people. There are a number of positive messages around the city re helping others, giving up seats etc.

    So our incredible number of steps today was 8,752 and 33 degrees again.

    We will be doing a final pack in the morning and chucking a few things out like the plastic plates that have served us so well. Some of our clothes are a bit threadbare as well from being washed so much lol.
    Read more