Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Day 42 Singapore

    October 11, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We slept for 10 hours and woke up feeling a bit refreshed. Our first trial of the public transport was great. We have enabled our Wise cards on our Google Pay and so it was an easy tap on and then off with our phones, just so easy. We took a bus and then a train to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and then ended up in a very flash mall. So flash that the shops weren’t open at 9am when we got there. We went in search of breakfast and Trish had a pastry from Starbucks. We didn’t feel like the other options available from the food court at that early time. Then we went in search of the Gardens by the Bay. We went to the top of the mall, found a good viewing spot for the evening light shows, and walked around the top and over a bridge, through the Marina Bay Sands hotel and then were at the gardens.

    There are a lot of free areas to walk around the gardens, an amazing 144m sculpture of many different endangered animals and lots of toilets and food areas. We chose to pay to go into 3 extra areas which was well worth it.

    The Super Tree observatory was good, and very cool on the inside. It was a bit annoying not being able to have a clear view due to the artificial tree branches. But when we went to catch the lift down, we realised there was a set of stairs upwards and then felt really silly as we had been there for about half an hour and were missing out on the amazing view one floor up. We met some Australians there who took our pics. There are a lot of Australians who pop over here even though it is a 8 hour flight.

    Then it was time for some food so we visited the Jurassic food hall. That was pretty neat as it was set up as the opening cafe in the Jurassic Park movies. Every now and then the dinosaurs would move which startled us the first time.

    Our next stop was the “Avatar: The experience at Cloud Forest”. This was simply amazing. It was in a huge dome and the plants were watered by misting which happened every 2 hours. There were many things there that came from the Avatar movie including a booth so we could avatar ourselves, and also the ability to ride a banshee. There were 6 stories, with a lift to the top, and then a gradual walk down with lots of different plants. On the ground floor was an orchid exhibit which was just stunning. We stayed there for about 2 hours and really enjoyed it. Next stop was a short walk to the Flower dome which as a chrysanthemum exhibition with a Mongolian theme. There were many more lovely sights to see there as well.

    We were well and truly knackered by this stage as it was very hot - how unusual! I went and took a video of the sculpture with the animals which Trisha recovered in the shade. Then we got lazy and caught a little bus for the 1km back to a train station, though it was still at least 500m from the drop off point to the actual station.

    A quick train ride and then a further walk to visit the Mustafa Centre. Well this was very different to what I had expected. I knew it was a place where you could buy anything and was something to be experienced. In reality it was about 4 floors of an extremely long building with no corridors with shops off either side, just loads of goods to be sold everywhere. It was rather chaotic and we walked the length of about 3 normal supermarkets in search of some potato chips of all things. We also found some blueberries and found a checkout. It was interesting when we entered the building as they tied up our bags with cable ties so we couldn’t steal anything and the things we purchased also had the plastic bags cable tied up. On our way our we also found a couple more gadgets.

    So we were really really tired by then. Walked about a km to find a direct bus back to our hotel, had a rest when we got back, then went and found some dinner to bring back here. We had Nasi Goreng Satay skewers, Sweet and sour chicken and all tasted great but there was no way that we could finish it all.

    Sex Education is now finished so we have started on Outlander from the first episode lol.

    17,958 steps and 33 degrees - so much muggier than Dubai though and that was bad enough.
    Read more