Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Lunches, Dinners, & More

    October 8, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We were very excited to meet our friends from Arizona, the Collins, when we got to Lisbon. They had booked a cruise leaving from Lisbon, so they decided to come a few days early to meet up with us. Grace and Jim had already made dinner reservations at a place our concierge always took his father to when he came to town. After quickly changing clothes, we were off in an Uber to a fun Portuguese restaurant. We enjoyed lots of delicious traditional foods and drinks, lots of seafood, some Italian food and even had some drinks in a Mexican restaurant. One of the highlights we ate a lot while in Portugal was a Portuguese egg custard tart pastry. We had them in Porto, too, but the tarts that melted in your mouth were from Pastéis de Belém. The monks from the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos sold pastries in the sugar refinery next door to raise money in the 16th century. Over time, the owner of the sugar refinery bought the recipe, and the refinery became Pastéis de Belém, a café that still sells the original custard tart recipe.
    We said goodbye to our friends on Sunday, October 8th. After Jim and Grace left, Scott and I went to a famous foodie place called Time Out and for our last dinner in Lisbon we enjoyed my favorite food, Italian, down the street from our hotel, Jamie Oliver's.
    The next morning, Monday, October 9th, we took an Uber to the airport and flew Air Canada to Toronto, where we would spend the night before heading back to Arizona. It was an end to a whirlwind tour of seven countries in 41 days. Even though we were glad to get home, we have lots of memories to treasure for years to come.
    Read more