Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 143

    Teaching in Java

    January 16, 2023 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌩️ 28 °C

    Teaching in Pesona Bukit Bintang. A poor village outside Majelaya (near Bandung). It was a very great experience. Via workaway the owner of the school invited us to come his school. 25 4-6 years old kids come to school every morning from 8 till 11. They do drawing, math, reading, writing, dancing and a lot of singing. They only have 3 hours of school, but the level of all these activities is very high. The children love to go to school and learn.

    During lunch time multiple parents or other villagers come to school to bring us food. Almost every day we got food and sometimes even double. The local Indonesian food they made was an experience itself and most of the time excellent.

    The villagers liked to include us in all the activities that were organised. Peter was the first day assigned as the new soccer coach. So he had to give trainings 3 times a week. I was invited to play volleybal with the woman. In the evenings the older children from the village came by the school for English class. This was also a lot of fun, since they were very motivated.

    The village is like the rest of the Java muslim. This also means they mostly sit, eat and sleep on the floor. So did we. For Peter this wasn’t always most comfortable with his long legs. Also sleeping in the school was an experience. Not only the people in the village liked to keep us company, also the cockroaches, worms and rats liked to visit us at night.
    Read more