Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Unexpected extension

    August 10, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I was sleepy the whole morning. There were kids playing and talking outside my window last night, until after midnight, and I got up at 5.
    I had the best breakfast so far, and it was 'home' made: fruit salad with natural yoghurt and avo on toast. Some albergues lend themselves to food preparation more others.
    We left Calzadilla de los Hermanillos and continued on the Via Trajana. The walk was still mostly flat, with gentle undulations. The fields had corn, wheat and sunflowers, and the occasional tree plantation.
    The track was an ancient Roman road, which in parts has been conserved just like it was 2,000 years ago.
    The target today was Mansilla de las Mulas, about 25k. The morning was relatively cool, cloudy, with a couple of light showers. It was a good temperature for walking.
    When we got to Mansilla, however, the good albergue was full 😣. The other private albergue had more negative reviews than positive, and the municipal was closed.
    We started looking for other options and found room at a nice albergue 2 more villages to the west. This extended the walk to 32k, and the last hour or two were in the afternoon heat.
    We were planning to walk to the last village before León tomorrow, and arrive early in León the next day, to be able to spend time exploring the city. But with today's extension, we're just 1 more village away from León, so we'll get there tomorrow.
    Read more