Satellite
  • Day 29

    Borobudor

    July 5, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    At 4am we woke up for hopefully out last early morning getup. Today we are off to Indonesians version of Angkor Wat, Borobudur. It was about an hour and half ride away and Will bombed it down the whole way. We got there just in time for the ticket booth opening and before all the crowds. The temple was $25 to get in for foreigners and only $3 for locals so we were expecting big things. It was quite different from other temples we've seen but the question is was it worth it. Its a really difficult question to answer. Now to put in perspective Angkor Wat, a wonder of the world, was $37 to get in for the one day pass. During that visit we had a full 24 hours to see as many temples within the complex as we physically could. Also generally the cost of things in Cambodia was much more expensive. If completely honest although it is a beautiful site I don't think it was worth the $25 when this could pay for 5 days worth of food and lodgings for 2 people that is a lot! But anyway it was rather photogenic and I can understand why a lot of holiday goers come and why backpackers don't. I would still recommend people go but I don't agree with the price, when compared to other similar structures it is worth around the $15 mark.

    Next stop the chicken church! No that isn't a typo, there is actually a church shaped like a chicken not so far from Borobudur called Gereja Ayam. It was pretty hot and I was feeling tired so I let Will head up and sneak up to the church. Presenting Guest Write Willy P again...

    It was hardly sneaking... I simply walked off the main path and after a few seconds stumbled across a heavily walked trail. Following this went straight to the church. The church is quite strange, unsurprisingly for a building shaped like a chicken. I walked to to the top of the chicken's head and saw the view of Mount Merapi and Mount Merbabu. Inside there are many weird, low quality print outs of scenes from the bible. There is a room dedicated to anti drug paintings. Overall a fun 20 minute diversion!

    Pretty shattered and having had no breakfast we headed back towards Yogya picking up a Mango juice and Soto Ayam on the way. Then we had a nap 😊 OK it was definitely a danger nap of over 2 hours! We woke up went for Gelato and then for our last Bakmi dinner before heading back home to pack for our early flight tomorrow. Next stop Singapore.
    Read more