Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Mumbai

    January 25 in India ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Flew to Mumbai. Dhobi Ghat, where dirty laundry from all over Mumbai is brought to a massive open-air laundry and painstakingly hand washed by the "dhobis" (washermen) in endless rows of concrete troughs fitted with flogging stones. It provides an unforgettable glimpse into the workings of the city and unlike anything you have ever seen.

    Statue of lunch box guy-first food delivery system? Dabbawalas collect the tiffins from the people who made them at around 10am (often a wife or mother – as India still adheres to gendered roles), where anything up to 30 will be taken on crates and via bicycles through the busy roads to the nearest train station. They are labelled using a system of symbols and colours, denoting where the tiffin is picked up, which station it will be sent to and the final address of the owner, all hand painted. The tiffins then travel on the city’s train network where at the other end the local dabbawalas pick them up for the last leg of the journey – the lunchtime delivery, which is never late.

    Mani Bhavan Mahatma Gandhi Museum, where Gandhi's movement was launched in 1942 and the serene ISKCON Temple.
    Read more