Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8 of AT in North Carolina NOBO

    May 9, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    NOC (mile marker 136.9) to Sassafras Gap Shelter (#143.8).
    Daily Mileage: 6.9

    Only 7 miles today as it was straight uphill out of the NOC, we wanted to wait until 10am when the thunderstorms ended, and Sassafras Gap Shelter was where a lot of folks were headed based on having an on-site privy and close-by water source.

    I hiked a lot today (and had dinner with him last night) with a guy named Cassian from St.Louis (birth name Christopher). He has been a St. Benedictine Monk & Priest since graduating from Vanderbilt University in 2000. He took the name Cassian after St. Cassian, a Christian Monk and theologian noted for his role in bringing the ideas and practices of early Christian monasticism to the medieval West. An incredibly intelligent and thoughtful guy with many interesting stories of his upbringing, his position within the Parish, his ministering to young adults, and his current year-long sabbatical. His goal is to get to Boone, NC (mile mark @ 410), lose 75 pounds, and figure out his next role within the St. Benedictine system. Talking to him here and there on the trail each of the last 3 days has made the time speed by!
    Read more