Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10 of AT in North Carolina NOBO

    May 11, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    Cody Gap tent area (mile marker 156.0) to Fontana Dam Resort & Village (#164.7).
    Daily Mileage: 8.7

    Great weather and a relative lollygag into Fontana Dam with a zero day on the horizon for tomorrow. Hiked with Cassian (I gave him the trail name “Cash Money” yesterday as he rocks the uphills each and every time), Lee & Caleb, and Zipperhead.

    Ok, so, Zipperhead. He’s about 50 yrs old and comes from Sturbridge, MA. Has 2 daughters. He got his trail name from the scar left by extensive brain surgery 7 years ago that left him bed-ridden for more than 2 years. After his recuperation, he successfully thru hiked the AT 3 years ago. He’s back for more and not sure how far he’ll go. A true inspiration. (He’s in one of the pics from a couple of days ago with Cassian).
    A bunch of us stopped halfway at Cable Gap Shelter for the Privy and lunch. Saw a black rat snake heading back to the shelter to get ready for a mouse dinner.

    Entered the Fontana Dam area at 3:15 and got a shuttle ride from the Marina up to to the lodge to check in. Had an awesome dinner, two cold Blue Ridge Hazy IPA’s, and from the patio was able to check out the Camaro Club of NC all coming in and assembling for their big rally & ride tomorrow. Looks to be upwards of 75-80 Camaro owners staying here.
    Read more