Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Ships who go nowhere

    May 11, 2022 in Denmark ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Naturally we had to leave the Copenhagen campsite, and hit the road.
    The daily Lieske check and of we go.
    Roskilde here we come.
    What is there to be seen ..
    A long time ago Roskilde was a famous city, who was afraid of being attacked. So they thought that building a defensive wall in their waters, with a controllable entrance.
    And in this entry there has been the find of the century.
    As an attack was eminent, the old chaps, sank a few old viking ships into this entry, so enemy ships could not enter the harbour of Roskilde.
    These sunken ships has been found in the late 50th. And the excavation has been finished in 1962. Than the real puzzle starts. The reconstruction. In the end. Five different vikingships. That leaded to the creation of the Vikingeskips Museet. And not only that. It leaded to building replicas to test and proof the fact that the vikingships really were of essence for the vikings to "conquer the world"..
    We had to conquer some more miles, so we set of to cross Denmark. And we took a rest, near the German border, to have a last snif of the fjords and cook our own diner.
    It started to rain.
    The God's new we were on the end of our journey.
    Read more