Satellite
  • Day 9

    Santiago

    August 24, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Getting refreshments after walking into Santiago de Compostela. I swear my feet were hurting more and more as I entered Santiago de Campostela. Just after the 3 kilometer marker we could see the towers of the cathedral peaking over the the city rooftops. At 2k we could really see them clearly.

    I'm having some refreshments and cakes at Almorzos. My friends say it is the best place for cakes and sweets in the city, I saw a girl there who was limping and whose feet are all bandaged up, a real perigrina.

    The cake I had was a Santiago torte served Galician style with coffee liquor poured over a cross cut into the slice of cake.

    The next stop was a visit to the cathedral and a visit to the tomb of St. James the apostle. Then on to get our Compostelas (completion certificate) but the Pilgrims Office was closed for the day.

    All good things come to an end. My Spanish travelling group of friends were not doing this for religious reasons. But one was still grieving for the loss of her husband. Anyway they had to depart. So it was a bitter sweet ending for the day.

    Tomorrow is Compostela, laundry, and Covid test time. I need to test negative to be able to return to the US.
    Read more