Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Cows, Coffee, and a Magic Bridge

    May 5, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Today's walk started with a pleasant walk from Rocesvalles through the neighboring towns. We passed lots of farms. And caught up with a couple (Mary and Declan) that we have been walking with off and on so we decided to stop for a cup of coffee for me and Katie and their breakfast in Burgette. Burgette's claim to fame is it's where Hemingway stayed and part of The Sun Also Rises is set there.

    We also met Silvio, a retiree from Milan. He had quite the tale to tell about his encounter with the Bomberos, the Spanish mountain rescue squad.

    People walking the whole 800 k are predominantly retirees, like Mary, Declan and Silvio. The next biggest group is college aged people.

    We caught up with a few friends for lunch, Mary, Sharon and Terra and we were searching for a restaurant that served a camelized onion omlette (tortilla). We found the restaurant, but they were out of that tortilla, but the others that we had were great!

    After lunch the trail went up some steep sections and then down a steep washed out decent into Zubiri, where we crossed the Magic Bridge. Legend has it that in medieval times people believed that if their cow had rabies then if they took the cow cross the bridge three times it would magically get cured.
    Read more