Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    The Devil Went Down to Prian

    November 7, 2023 in Slovenia ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    So, Tartini was a fencer (swords, not barbed wire) and was wounded in a duel and decided handling a sword was similar to handling a violin bow and became the Michael Jackson of his day. The story is the devil (Crowley?) said he would make him an even more spectacular voilin composer in exchange for his soul. The guy hedged and said he first wanted a sample of the devils composition before he decided, and so the devil played it for him... he turned down the devil because he memorized what he heard and composed it without losing his soul. (Then, of course, he went down to Georgia.)

    We tasted wine at another winery after a 45 minute bus ride that crossed into Croatia.

    We learned the Angel Gabriel on top of the church is both a weather vane and a lightning rod. Some kids disconnected the lightning wire and Gabriel's wing blew off. They had to get a helicopter to fix it because no one could figure out how they got it up there in the first place!

    Finished the day seeing a fabulous sunset and playing an underwhelming game of bingo in the lounge where one woman suspiciously won all three games.
    Read more