Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Leopard encounter

    October 29, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We started the morning outing with another giraffe sighting (the same giraffe we saw yesterday we are told). Shortly after, our spotter and tracker heard an “alarm” from a nearby Impala herd. The spotter set off on foot while we drove off in search of what caused the alarm. We met up with the spotter again just as we encountered a leopard chasing a hyena (a blur). We followed thru the bush and came across a resident male leopard hunting for the cub of a non-resident female. The female was doing her best to keep the male from finding her cub. Turns out the male will try to kill the cubs in his territory that he did not sire, then impregnate the female to carry on his blood line. The video shows one short encounter where the male approached a tree and the female lunged at him and up the tree (make sure the sound is on!). We tracked the 2 for almost an hour until he seemed to lose track and the female grew less concerned.

    Returned to our lodge for a great breakfast, followed by a view off the deck of an elephant herd, complete with several young babies.

    Charlotte will post much better photos taken with her SLR and telephoto lens.

    Amazing!
    Read more