Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    2nd Class Train Travel

    November 9, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    As Pingyao is a small stop it wasn't possible to get first class tickets first this leg... They are all booked by through travellers from Beijing. So we are in the busier 2 class this time. Smaller seats they squeeze in 5 to a row, 3 on one side and 2 on the other. Fortunately we are on a two and I have a window although the air pollution means nothing much can be seen.

    At the station we were carefully marshalled to the platform and once there we were all stood behind a line 2m back from the platform edge, with a guard patrolling to make sure we were in the right place. Each carriage position is marked on the platform.

    From the window you get so many intriguing glimpses; a trafficless country road that winds through trees but has a red banner across it with what is probably a socialist slogan on it.. Maybe it is the biggest road in the area... Maybe it is keep out message... Who knows.

    The landscape we are travelling through seems to be a plateau cut by intermittent canyons. There could be hills quite close but the awful air quality prevents you seeing them. You can taste the dust and something metallic in the air every time we stop at a station.
    Read more