Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Xi'an First Impressions

    November 9, 2017 in China ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Waiting for dinner. We are behind the Drum & Bell Tower in the Muslim quarter. Xi'an is different again from Beijing and Pingyao, lots of traffic, lots of street life and the sadly the first beggars we have seen. We walked from our hotel about 200m to the tower and all of a sudden we were in a crowd of people all shouting to sell food, queuing for food and generally having a good time. Loads of stalls selling things on sticks including, I think, whole crab but as it was covered in batter it was hard to tell. As it is raining a little we have come inside to eat, Chang'An (Xian used to be called Chang'An) chicken for me, shrimp meat with nuts and vegetables for Dad and eggplant with long beans to share. As it is the Muslim quarter we are washing it down with a jug of water melon juice.... The whole lot is costing about £17 which about usual for dinner.
    On the table next to us they are settling an argument with rock paper scissors!
    Oops I seem to have ordered the long beans with chilli. All good though.
    As it is raining back to the hotel without lingering. This time we have studio apartment on the 11th floor inc mini kitchen (but I am not intending to cook!). It's quite a contrast from our courtyard room.
    Read more