Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Salar de Uyuni Tour - Day 1

    October 27, 2016 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    If you are in Bolivia it is a MUST doing a tour to the Salar de Uyuni. We decided to book a 3 days tour which was recommanded to us because there is so much to see and we don't wanted to miss out anything of the beautiful landscape.

    In the office of Bolivia Hop / Altitude Adventures in La Paz we booked the tour. The overnight bus from La Paz to the departure destination Uyuni was quite nice and not that bad as expected. Because Bolivia is not well known for safe bus rides and we allready heard some bad stories about overnight buses in Bolivia we were a bit afraid of having a overnight bus. But the agency "Altitude Adventures" made sure that we has a safe ride. We slept quite well after a good night movie and arrived still alive in the small town Uyuni where finally our tour began. ☺️

    The first stop was a train cementery. The trains weren't used anymore, so they just let them there in the desert. Because they were made of metals, as for example copper, there are only wrecks left - the rest was stolen.
    Our second stop was in a small town called Colchani where we visited some small salt fabrics and got to know how they collect and process the salt from the salt flat.

    After that we had lunch in the middle of the salt flat which was very special. We had excellent food and went on to make the famous and well known illusion pictures in the salt flat.

    After climbing a small island in the middle of the salt flat with huge cactuses we had to hurry to see the sunset from another viewpoint. In the late afternoon we finally arrived in a hotel made of salt. There we had again really tasty food and a very nice private room.
    Read more