Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Estancia Loninga - Paraguay

    November 25, 2016 in Paraguay ⋅ ⛅ -9 °C

    After a 2h flight from Montevideo to Asunción, an 8h overnight busdrive from Asunción to Neuland and a 45min cardrive, we finally arrived at the "Estancia Loninga".

    Neuland: This colonie was founded by Mennonites in 1947 and is the last of three Mennonite colonies in this region. A german speaking group came to this place after flewing from the 2nd worldwar from Russia to Germany and later on to Paraguay. So it is that in this colonies the language is not only spanish but also german. The main economic sectors here are meat and milk production as well as agriculture.

    "Estancia Loninga" is a farm that belongs to Chrigis father and his cousin Hansueli. Hansueli lives here with his wife Barbara and they run together the farm. The 500ha area around their farm inhabits more than 400 cows as well as a few pigs and horses. We were lucky because we also saw Nandus who live free here.

    It was very interesting for us to get into the life of a farmer in Paraguay and could participate in some activities of their usual work. Thank you Hansueli & Barbara for having us with you and for introducing us into the live of a farmer. We really enjoyed it to be far away from the civilisation and have had a great week!
    Read more