Satellite
  • Day 101

    Florianopólis - Barra da Lagoa

    December 5, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    After visiting the brazilian Iguazu Falls we took an overnight bus from Foz do Iguazu to Florianopólis. After a 16 hours ride we finally arrived in "Floripa" which is composed of one main island, the "Island of Santa Catarina" and many surrounding small ones.

    Our hostel was at the eastern side of the island at a beach called "Barra da Lagoa". So we took the public bus to go there. Unfortunately, after 30 minutes of driving, the bus wasn't able to move on because a tree trunk blocked the street. So we had to leave the bus until the only way to our hostel was free. Meanwhile in a restaurant, Alex realised that she left her iphone in the overnight bus. We desperately catched again the public bus to go back to the bus terminal. We were so happy when they told us that it was found but had to wait for two more hours till we got it back. The gap we used to get an overlook of the city center of "Floripa".

    It was allready evening when we finally arrived at our hostel. Unluckily we got informed about the fact that there was no electricity and Wifi since two days because of a cyclone that destroyed some parts of the island. Now it became clear why the street was blocked by the tree and why a lot of houses were under construction. But we were at least quite lucky, that we didn't arrive in the morning the day before when the storm just went over the island.

    The next days were very sunny. We enjoyed the nice weather so much, that we got sunburned like never before. But we still had a great day surfing and hanging at the beach.

    Our hostel called "Sunset Strip Eco Hostel" is high recomendable: very friendly staff, very nice atmosphere and surfboards for free!

    The island was actually much bigger than expected and we wished to stay longer to explore some other beaches because there were so many of them. But after the information that a second storm will reach the island on the next day, we decided on a whim to take a flight to Rio de Janeiro on the next morning.
    Read more