Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Cadiz

    February 7 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Cadiz has been a trading port for 3000 years but is now dependent on shipbuilding and tourism. It is surrounded by sea and ancient salt marshes where flamingos feed and nest. They are a much paler pink than those in zoos.
    Not so keen on the newest parts of the city, full of hotels to feed the beautiful beaches, but the old quarter has a charm to it that has it's own style as you can see from the photos . The cathedral is built from oyster stone - but we don't know what that is.
    We loved the market area with its tapas bars and small stalls surrounding the massive fish market. Full of the life at 2 pm that we enjoyed in Madrid a year or so ago. Susan stocked up on paella spices and saffron.
    Cadiz is twinned with Havana in Cuba and has certain common characteristics. The old tobacco rolling factory is a preserved building as is the beautiful but austere old orphanage.
    The city is very quiet out of season so I suppose they are grateful for the cruise ships that dock by the city gates but dominate the landscape as one looks south.
    We ate in the dining room this evening with Dennis and his wife Val. They have their own table! They discussed places and experiences in common from time in and around Gravesend with Susan. Good company and food. Scallops followed by calves liver for me.
    This evening's entertainment was from an Hungarian classical violinist and Spanish flamenco dancer who have paired up and do their own thing since winning Spain's got talent! Both very gifted and earning a standing ovation which is quite something considering the age and agility of some of our fellow passengers.
    Read more