Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Casablanca

    February 8 in Morocco ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    My lasting memory of Casablanca won't be of the city itself or any of its varied sites but of our arrival at breakfast time with a sunrise over the docks giving magnificent orange, red and yellow hues, through which thousands of birds awoke and took flight - the experience was spectacular and amazing. Gulls, cormorants, starlings and crows. I recorded it with my camera so will add it to this blog later.
    Casablanca is large and needs a longer visit. We visited the Hassan II Mosque, the Royal quarter , the diplomatic area and travelled along the Corniche. We spent some time in a market. It was all very quiet compared to the
    hustle and bustle of Marrakesh a few years ago. A mix of French grandeur and modern islamic architecture. The beaches were lovely and the parks well maintained and colourful.
    Bourgainveilia mixed with other flowers of many colours adorn low hedges on the roadside.
    A lot of traffic on large roads crossing the city but still the odd inclusion of hand pushed carts, cars that are falling apart and motorcycle carts with the driver wearing what can only be described as a riding helmet .
    We did see some of the shabby apartments where most of the 4.5 million inhabitants of this city live which give Morocco much of its character and there is a shanty town occupied by fishing families within the city.
    Proud of Susan in that resisted buying yet another pashmina from the very pushy vendors in the market.
    Later, after lunch on board our ship, I did succome to a small power nap while Susan investigated the washing and ironing facilities on board.
    Relaxed dining with two ex nurses this evening - they have a very similar view on the way nursing has changed to our views on the changes in education - it's all to do with finance !
    We are due for some stormy weather at sea tomorrow!
    Read more