Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Las Palmas

    February 12 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We felt like we were taking part in 'Race across the World' as we entered the empty square and caught the solitary lift down below ground level. We found the right stop for the number 12 bus, met another couple from the ship and discussed payment methods and where to get off the bus. When the bus came we got on and the driver informed us that this was the wrong place and to cross the park. We got off and shared this with our fellow travellers, who ignored us and got on the bus! We found the correct stop across the park only to find that our competitors were in the queue in front of us. I was not amused!
    The bus ride to the old town was busy and fun. Susan pointed out that everyone was going home for lunch. It took 40 mins to travel 5 km. Crowded but civilised with men vacating seats for women, young for old.
    Vegueta was the original settlement that gave rise to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria at the end of the 15th century. It contains an old town full of cobbled streets, pretty corners and a wide range of architectural styles ranging from Renaissance to Gothic. Christopher Columbus is said to have waited here whilst his ship was being repaired before heading west.
    The bus ride back was on the fast road along the sea front and only took 10 minutes so we were back in time not to disappoint our waiter in the Living room who was hovering with Susan's Earl Grey teabag, hot water and a slice of lemon
    A G&T before dinner in the Britannia Lounge watching couples strut their stuff on the dance floor; some are amazing.
    Dinner with our nursing friends Pat and Dorothy again this evening. We chatted away for several hours talking about our various and entertaining experiences on holidays. Pat, the retired matron/ nursing administrator reminds me of my Aunty Molly in her mannerisms and expressions.
    Read more