Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Tenerife

    February 22 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Santa Cruz, our arrival point on Tenerife is a very busy place full of apartment blocks, villas and busy roads. We didn't explore this capital city apart from a quick drive through but we don't think we like it too much . The main avenue known as 'Las Ramblas' took us past the disused bullring and a pleasant park (Garcia Sanabria). The avenue looked a pleasant place to walk.
    We went to La Laguna, Tenerife's old capital but didn't see much of the world heritage site apart from the market.
    Later we drove through north Tenerife, passing through the Oratava Valley and it's banana trees. We stopped at the Humboldt Viewpoint with views stretching from Mount Tiede to the coast of Puerto de la Cruz. The viewpoint is named after Alexander Humboldt, the German Charles Darwin who visited the island in 1799. He also visited the garden which stood on the site of what is now the Orchid Gardens, established in 1774, and the oldest on the island. We visited these lovely gardens following in the footsteps of Agatha Christie and the Victorian botanical artist, Marianne North ( famous for her connection with Kew Gardens).
    Interesting fact of the day: Mount Tiede is the third tallest volcanic landmass in the world if you measure from the sea floor.
    Another buffet on the deck this evening. Mediterranean theme but it's cooler and more windy than the last time and guests are wrapping themselves in blankets. The paella was massive and half of it wasn't eaten!
    Paella soup tomorrow?
    Read more