Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    La Gomera

    February 23 in Spain ⋅ 🌬 18 °C

    We often separate for the best trips, for good reason today as Susan's knee wasn't feeling too energetic after so many coach steps. We both ventured to the top of La Gomera to investigate the amazing change in vegetation as you progress higher. The trade winds come from the north and bring with them the only condensation in the form of mist and cloud and as a result prickly pears and succulents become heather and laurel trees with wild flowers in-between. The area is a National Park with tracks for cycling and walking.
    I joined a tour for the very fit. A 5 km hike up through the forest to the highest point in Lake Gomera and then a return hike down via a different route. The weather was perfect, we were above the mist for the upward climb along narrow sandy tracks. The views over the island in all directions were amazing with mount Tiede above the cloud line and greenery all around on the hills. The view of the Table top mountain formed from the igneous rock inside a now eroded volcano was also spectacular. We climbed down by steps laid into the sandy track . The mist was now rising and soon we were surrounded by laurel and other trees. It became much cooler and very humid. The forest had been badly burnt in a fire 12 years ago and the new growth amongst dead trunks and branches gave it a very different feel. Someone in the group called it the forbidden forest. The masses of hairy lichens on the tree trucks and lower branches added to this effect. All around there were colourful wild plants from giant yellow flowers resembling dandelions to tiny blue rock violets. For me this was a highlight of the holiday. The air was so fresh and clean.
    The other highlight of the day was for our amusing Captain who delighted in hooting frequently as we passed our sister ship. We all stood on deck or on our balconies and waved at each other!
    Read more