Satellite
Show on map
  • Fes

    January 3 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    After another mammoth day of travel, we were ready for our day to explore in Fes. We were met by our guide Momo (Mohammed) at 10am and proceeded to explore the old medina of Fes, the oldest city in Morocco. We explored the traditional artisan factory and watched the incredible talent of the artists, and were guided through the different parts of the souk (market). These streets were even more narrow and crowded, and we were happy to be able to follow a local through the maze of alleys.
    In the afternoon we visited the gold stores and the traditional tannery, seeing the full process from animal skins to leather goods. The tannery has been the same for hundreds of years and this was very interesting to see. We were also given a bunch of mint each to hold in front of our noses, which helped to stave off the occasional wave of smell which would assault you. After our fiercest haggle battle to date, we bought some camel leather goods and went off to our rooftop dinner.
    There were certainly a few deals being made for where our business was going, they certainly know how to hustle in the souks. Testament to how lovely the Moroccan people are however, our guide stuck around from 10am to 10pm, coming back from dinner to ensure we got taxis to and from our restaurant home.
    Read more