Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 2

    May 12, 2023 in Malawi ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    After sleeping for 12 hours, I expected to feel better, but still ached all over, had a headache and felt dehydrated. But a shower, breakfast and a glass of water and some Tylenol helped a great deal, and so we headed out on a shopping expedition. We went across town to a very congested shopping area that is impossible to describe. But you can get anything- hardware, plumbing, electronics, plastic warehouse, clothing made for you, and on and on. Our goal was two treadle sewing machines, fabric, thread, scissors, with a plan to give them to a group of women at the refugee camp and teach them how to use them so they can begin to earn a living. We were able to get all that we needed, and a few things that Roberta needed. Then we went to the chitenje market, where all the wonderful African fabrics are sold. A chitenje is a 2 meter piece of fabric that most women wear as a wrap skirt. They are also used to spread out on the ground to sit on or to wrap around a baby to wear on their back. The colors are beautiful, the patterns so varied and the choices are many. On my previous trip, I came home with a LOT of fabric and still haven't used it all. But the colors seemed brighter, the patterns prettier, and I DID need a couple of chitenjes to wear in the refugee camp, so got three pieces only, this time. I may get more before I leave here, but it was SO fun to look.
    I didn't talk about driving here, they drive on the opposite side from the US, I had forgotten that. It is jarring and scary as a passenger. To make it worse, there are pedestrians, bicycles, motorbikes, and lots of cars all sharing the road. You have to be a very aggressive driver here.
    Read more