Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 6 in Malawi

    May 16, 2023 in Malawi

    We left Roberta's house at 6:40 am to get to the YWAM base for team devotions at 7:30. 🥱🥱🥱 We had a good discussion about loving and praying for your enemies. Then there was a short team meeting to welcome several new members to the YWAM team, all refugees, most from DRC(Dem. Republic of Congo). We gave one of the Bibles I brought to a team member and he was thrilled!
    A short excursion to the Tuesday market just outside the camp, a huge open-air market where you can get most anything. I looked at more chitenje fabric, and only bought one piece, less than $2 for a 2 meter piece! Stopped on the way back to YWAM base to pick up fresh chapatis(like flour tortillas) for a friend of Roberta's, then back for lunch and a video phone call to some friends in the US. Then out to visit disabled who are housebound to encourage them, provide some company and pray with them. We went to three homes, two housed family groups who have been approved to leave the camp. One group of 12 was going to Canada, the other going to US was about 6 or 7. Sadly, the UN. officials who process the paperwork for the second family to leave were asking them to pay an exorbitant fee(over $3000)- which is illegal and despicable. They were asking if we could help them. Roberta made it clear that it was wrong for them to ask, and will discuss the problem with the team leader at YWAM. It was later than Roberta's usual leaving time of 4pm, so we got stuck in rush hour, which is complicated by the fact that there are no traffic signals here, everyone just goes when they see a sliver of an opening. It took an hour and a half to get home and we are tired. Driving here is a scary adventure, between bad potholes like you've never seen, bicyclists, motorbikes, and cars passing each other-playing chicken- constantly. You need nerves of steel on the roads here and Roberta's got them.
    Read more