Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Kuranda

    March 20, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    It's my final full day in Australia as I fly to Vietnam tomorrow. Emma, Jasmine, and Sierra had all highly recommended going to Kuranda, so Emily and I took the Scenic railway at 8:30 from central station. We continue to be lucky with the weather, so we got to see one of the world's most scenic railways in its best light.
    Along the ride we saw waterfalls, rivers, and the beautiful world heritage rainforest. If you ever find yourself in Cairns a morning train to Kuranda should be high on your list.
    The train has two modern locomotives painted in patterns of the local aboriginal people, the rest of the train is comprised of older carriages, some more than 100 years old.
    Kuranda itself is a small town that clearly depends 100% on tourism. We went through the markets, which were nice and relaxing. We then went to the Birdworld. Here we handfed different parrots, lorikeets, and other birds. They even had a Cassowary.
    Next we went to Koala gardens. It's really small, and so are the pens and cages. So that was not the best experience.
    We went and found lunch. On the way I managed to finally find a souvenir for myself from this massive country. A bull roarer also know as a bush telephone. The lunch was not great, so we went to skyrail to catch our cable car home. This was the best cable car I've ever done, soaring above the canopy we got magnificent views of the rainforest, we even got lucky and had an unplanned stop above Barron River, which allowed us to spot turtles and a freshwater crocodile.
    We went of on both stops along the way and there got to see Barron Falls again and red peak.
    After a shuttle transfer to NJoy we finished our day with laundry, showers, 8 ball pool, packing, and a lovely dinner at the Turkish restaurant where we ate the first night in Cairns with G-ADVENTURES.
    A perfect way to cap off a wonderful time in Cairns and Australia.
    Read more