Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Limestone Islands

    March 23, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    I was really tired yesterday so went early to bed, and we didn't have to get up until 8 o'clock for breakfast.
    After breakfast we went to a less busy cave, it was really nice, and as less tourists come by that cave, more if it stood pristine.
    We had 20 minutes to change for kayaking, and then had a good 3 hours worth of kayaking and caving.
    Ha Long Bay is very beautiful, so it's sad to see the amount of rubbish on the beaches and in the sea.
    After kayaking we had lunch, followed by some time to rest before we visited a pearl farm.
    On the pearl form we learned they use 3 species of oyster to produce pearl, each create different size and colour. The oysters has to be cleaned every 2 months and even then they only have a 30% success rate, sometimes they have to wait 5 years for the pearls to grow
    We were taken to Ti Top island, here we again experienced a staggering amount of tourists. We took the 400 steps to the top standing in line the entire way. When we came down again 2 of the girls and I went for a quick swim. The water tasted like diesel and so we quickly got out again.
    After the swim the boys played football 5 vs 5, it was an even match which ended 8:7 unfortunately to the other team.
    Back on the boat we had dinner and then enjoyed a pleasant evening swapping travel stories.
    Read more