Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Duomo di Pisa

    September 22, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    The Duomo di Pisa, the Pisa Cathedral, is a very impressive medieval Roman Catholic cathedral, dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Construction began in 1063, the same year St Mark’s Basilica in Venice began its construction and there was a strong rivalry between the two republics to see which could create the most beautiful and luxurious place of worship.

    Consecrated in 1118, it was enlarged in the 12th century, restored after a fire in 1595, and altered again in the early 18th century. More restorative changes occurred in the 19th century with the removal of newer changes in favour of returning some of the significant early features.

    The exterior of the cathedral is just as beautiful and elaborate as the interior and is striking from every angle. It is a photographer’s dream, the iconic marble building, the lush green grass and the amazingly blue sky. Very picturesque.

    Inside, the church houses the relics of Saint Rainerius, patron saint of Pisa, and the fragmentary tomb of Henry VII, Holy Roman Emperor. The tombs, the alters, the pulpit are a feast for the eyes, decorated in elaborate and famous art works, marble sculptures and panels. The amazing coffered ceiling with its 16th century fresco is breathtaking.

    Once again we are blown away by the workmanship, the history and the beauty. Who knew we would love visiting churches so much??!!
    Read more