Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Piazza dei Miracole, Pisa

    September 22, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    One of the parts that makes the Leaning Tower of Pisa so special is its location in the Piazza dei Miracoli, the Square of Miracles. The piazza is a World Heritage site that was formally known as Piazza del Duomo and is a walled 8.87 hectare area that contains the Cathedral, the Baptistery, the Graveyard and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

    It assumed its final appearance in the 16th century after demolition works, new buildings and the restoration of the monuments. However, it already existed in early medieval times, where there was a church devoted to Santa Maria and a small hexagonal Baptistery. The area was also used as a seat of Etruscan tombs.

    The expanse of deep green grass against the white marble of the historic monuments is just beautiful and walking through the gates to that view the very first time was breathtaking. It truly is a special place.

    Aside from the amazing structures the square is famous for, I love the Fallen Angel sculpture situated on the lawn beneath the Tower. It is a bronze sculpture of the body of Icarus, the son of Daedalus who dared to fly too near the sun on wings of feathers and wax. It was first displayed in the Piazza dei Miracoli in 2012 as a temporary exhibition but is still there today. Created by Polish sculptor, Igor Mitoraj who passed away in 2014, it is a powerful piece of art and it certainly fits right in with its historic surroundings. It is a fine example how the contemporary art can complement the ancient one.

    ‘The presence of the Angels has a symbolic significance, which is that of finding a minimum of serenity and peace’ - Igor Mitoraj
    Read more