Satellite
  • Day 42

    Amalfi

    October 10, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Our destination for today was Amalfi and the easiest way to get here was by ferry. Such a pleasant way to travel and with a fabulous view of the coast line to admire on the way.

    We were sad to be leaving Sorrento as we really enjoyed our time there and were hoping Amalfi would be just as good... and it was but in a totally different way. Sorrento has a bit of sophistication about it (I think that’s the best way to describe it). It is very ordered and dressed to impress, which it does. Amalfi is a maze of alleyways to explore off the main street and down the alleyways are cool shops, different to what we have seen elsewhere, and excellent restaurants to enjoy. It has a real old Italian charm about it and the alleys have been decorated with planters, artwork etc so it’s as pretty as picture.

    I do have to admit I got a giggle from the fountain in the main square which was currently under restoration. I’m not sure what the sculptor was thinking when he positioned the water spouts. Very interesting choice.

    We had a couple of days to enjoy here and as it isn’t a big town we relaxed, enjoyed browsing the shops and did lots of eating and drinking. We found a very cute restaurant tucked away down a small alley for dinner the first night. It had so much charm and what we thought was just a small alleyway restaurant was in fact quite a huge establishment that had been running for 35 years. We were lucky enough to sit in the small courtyard surrounded by old buildings. Very authentic.

    Dessert was from Pasticceria Pansa, a cafe/patisserie that has been serving sweets, cookies, candied fruits and chocolates since 1830. Opened by Andrea Pansa, a master in the art of confectionery, it has been managed by five generations of Pansas. Part of the enjoyment was unwrapping the beautifully wrapped package they give you when your order to go. It was like Christmas and the “gift” inside was delicious. We could see (taste) why the shop was so successful.

    With a cooler day on our second day we decided to relax with a drink before lunch and returned to a restaurant below our accommodation. I love the old Italian men trying to entice people into their restaurants, with their sense of humour and the twinkle in their eye. It worked on us and we ended up enjoying not only a drink but a delicious lunch AND a dessert, and a lot of banter. A fun way to spend the afternoon and when the owner started introducing us as his brother and sister, we asked for a family discount.

    Amalfi definitely impressed us and we have loved this part of the Italian coast.
    Read more